Drywood Termites: How To Detect, Treat, and Prevent
Drywood termites are a common problem for homeowners in Arizona, and can cause significant damage to your home if left untreated. But with the right knowledge and the help of a professional pest control company like Arizona Termite Control, you can effectively detect, treat, and prevent infestations.
How To Detect Drywood Termites
- Look for small, round holes in the wood of your home. These holes are typically the size of a pencil eraser and are created by termites as they tunnel through the wood.
- Check for small piles of sawdust near the holes. As termites tunnel through the wood, they leave behind small piles of sawdust-like material, which is a sure sign of infestation.
- Listen for a clicking sound. Termites make a faint clicking noise as they move through the wood, which can sometimes be heard in quiet rooms.
- Look for termite droppings. Drywood termite droppings resemble sawdust and may be found near infested wood.
How To Treat Drywood Termites
- Fumigation is the most effective way to treat an infestation of drywood termites. During fumigation, a pest control professional will seal your home and pump it full of a gas that kills the termites. This process is highly effective, but it can also be costly and time-consuming.
- Localized treatment is another option for treating drywood termites. This method involves injecting a liquid pesticide into the infested wood. While this method is less expensive and less disruptive than fumigation, it is not as effective and may not eliminate the entire colony.
How To Prevent Drywood Termites
- Eliminate moisture. Termites are attracted to moist wood, so eliminating moisture sources in and around your home can help prevent infestations.
- Remove wood debris from around your home. This includes firewood, stumps, and any other wood debris that may attract termites.
- Repair leaky pipes and fixtures. Leaky pipes can create moist environments that are attractive to termites.
- Seal entry points. Seal any cracks or gaps in the foundation of your home to prevent termites from entering.
If you suspect that you have a drywood termite infestation, it’s important to contact a professional pest control company like Arizona Termite Control as soon as possible. Our team of experts can help you detect, treat, and prevent infestations, so you can rest assured that your home is safe from these destructive pests.